This was by far our favourite meal of the week and surprisingly it's vegan!
I made a massive batch of this so there was plenty left over the next day and it tasted even better after the flavours had been left to mingle for 24 hours. I made this curry very mild because I have small children but feel free to up the heat by adding in extra chilli powder or fresh chillies. Also, feel free to halve or quarter this if you don't need to feed as many people as I do.
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- black pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 6 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 3 cups red lentils
- 1 1/2 cups of vegan yoghurt
- 2 bunches swiss chard, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Heat large pan on a medium/high heat, add a tablespoon of water and then add onions and cumin seeds. Fry for approximately 5 minutes adding tablespoons of water as necessary to prevent pan drying.
- Add black pepper, garlic and ginger, fry for a further minute or two.
- Stir in curry powder, garam masala and turmeric.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and give a stir.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and lentils, bring to boil.
- Turn down to a simmer, put lid on and leave for 20 minutes
- Add yoghurt, chard and seasoning.
- Serve with rice and sprinkle over some coriander.
Please let me know if you try this recipe, I highly recommend it, it's tasty, cheap and healthy! We'll definitely be eating this again soon.